Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wharton in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Plaza Hotel and Plaza Theater

 
 
Site of Plaza Hotel and Plaza Theater Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
1. Site of Plaza Hotel and Plaza Theater Marker
Inscription.  Built on Wharton's Courthouse Square, the Plaza Hotel began circa 1904 as a two-story brick structure with a large dining room on the first floor and 20 rooms to let. Owned and operated by R. B. Huston and his wife Lula Merriwether Huston, the Plaza Hotel was the site of many community activities, conventions, and civic and club banquets.

A third floor added in 1929 expanded the rooming capacity of the hotel, and included a small opera house. Wharton's first radio station began in July 1933 and operated from the third floor. Wharton was one of many cities that participated in the World Bridge Olympics in 1934; the local tournament was conducted at the Plaza Hotel.

The lot on which the hotel stood was sold in 1941 to Long-Griffith Theaters. The hotel was gutted and a movie theater built within the brick shell in 1941, and a gala grand opening was held in March 1942. One of three movie theaters in Wharton, the Plaza Theatre operated until the 1970s, when it was closed.

In 1990 the Community Theater of Wharton reopened the Plaza Theater to provide live entertainment for the region.
 
Erected
Plaza Theater image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
2. Plaza Theater
1997 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12293.)
 
Location. 29° 18.648′ N, 96° 6.086′ W. Marker is in Wharton, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is on South Houston Street south of West Milam Street (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 South Houston Street, Wharton TX 77488, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wharton County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Wharton County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Judge George E. Quinan (about 300 feet away); Wharton County (about 300 feet away); Site of the Home of Robert McAlpin Williamson (about 300 feet away); City of Wharton (about 400 feet away); Security Bank and Trust Company (about 500 feet away); Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wharton.
 
More about this marker. Incise in base of marker: Property gift deed from Rubin S. Frels, Victoria, TX 1990
 
Categories. EntertainmentIndustry & Commerce
 

More. Search the internet for Site of Plaza Hotel and Plaza Theater.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement