Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edna in Jackson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Mission Nuestra Seņora del Espiritu Santo de Zuņiga

 
 
Mission Nuestra Seņora del Espiritu Santo de Zuņiga Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
1. Mission Nuestra Seņora del Espiritu Santo de Zuņiga Marker
Inscription.  Situated in the present county of Jackson was the mission of Nuestra Seņora del Espiritu Santo de Zuņiga. Established by Joseph de Azlor, Marquis of Aguayo, and Father Fray Agustin Patron, O.F.M. in 1722 for the civilizing and Christianizing of the Karankawa, Cujane, Coco, Copane, and other Indian tribes under the protection of the Presidio de Nuestra Seņora de Loreto. Both moved to Mission Valley on the Guadalupe River in 1726. Moved finally to Santa Dorotea, now Goliad near the San Antonio River in 1749.
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 3406.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
 
Location. 28° 58.814′ N, 96° 39.025′ W. Marker is in Edna, Texas, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of Cedar Street and North Allen Street (Farm to Market Road 822), on the right when traveling west on Cedar Street. Marker is located in front of St. Agnes Catholic Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 506 North Allen Street, Edna TX 77957, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Mission Nuestra Seņora del Espiritu Santo de Zuņiga Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
2. Mission Nuestra Seņora del Espiritu Santo de Zuņiga Marker
are within walking distance of this marker. The Famous Lavaca-Navidad Meeting of 1835 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brackenridge Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederates of Jackson County (approx. ž mile away); Jackson County, C.S.A. (approx. ž mile away); a different marker also named Jackson County (approx. ž mile away); Early Jackson County (approx. ž mile away); Macaroni Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); La Bauve-Young-Payne Home (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edna.
 
More about this marker. Relocated 1966 by the Knights of Columbus and Jackson County Historical Committee.
 
Also see . . .  Nuestra Seņora del Espíritu Santo de Zúņiga Mission - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraNative Americans
 

More. Search the internet for Mission Nuestra Seņora del Espiritu Santo de Zuņiga.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 63 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement