Danevang in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Danevang Community Hall
After the first colonists arrived, the society helped fund a building the community could use as a gathering place. Completed in 1895, the Danevang Community Hall (Forsamlingshus) later was donated by the society to the community, along with 45 acres of land. Until the first church building was constructed about 1908, the community hall served as both church and assembly space, and provided living quarters for the Danish Lutheran pastor on the second floor. The Danevang School, also dating to 1895, held its first classes in the building.
Over the years, additions and modifications were made to the Danevang Community Hall to accommodate the needs of the colonists. All major secular and sacred festivals were celebrated here,
Erected 2002 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12805.)
Location. 29° 2.616′ N, 96° 12.204′ W. Marker is in Danevang, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is on County Road 426 0.3 miles east of State Highway 71, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 357 County Road 426, Danevang TX 77432, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Danevang Pioneer Monument (a few steps from this marker); Danevang Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Danevang (approx. ¼ mile away); Clemville (approx. 5.1 miles away); J.S. Abercrombie Mineral Company (approx. 10.1 miles away); Old Hawley Cemetery (approx. 10.9 miles away); El Campo Library Building (approx. 11.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danevang.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Danevang Community Hall.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 53 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.