The L.L. Stearns & Sons department store actually consisted of two separate buildings along with several additions. On this wall and the adjoining wall of the plaza are several artifacts from the facades of the Stearns buildings. The porcelain molding surrounding this plaque framed the front windows of the original L.L. Stearns & Sons store, formerly the City Hotel, purchased in 1888. The distinctive stone rosettes, ornamental stone columns, finely tooled horizontal trim work, and stone pediment are from the West Branch National Bank purchased by L.L. Stearns & Sons in 1925. Above the pediment are letters that established the store's identity. These artifacts are being preserved to convey a sense of history related to the original buildings on this site.
Location. 41° 14.433′ N, 77° 0.176′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is on Pine Street south of Willow Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker and architectural elements are at the east end of the Trade & Transit Centre. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West 3rd Street, Williamsport PA 17701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8
Also see . . .
1. Stearns Family - LATEN LEGG STEARNS Biography. (Submitted on July 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. L.L. Stearns & Sons Postcard. (Submitted on July 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Architectural Artifacts.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.