Indianola in Calhoun County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Chihuahua Road
By the 1850s, hundreds of wagons and Mexican carretas were outfitted in Indianola for the long and difficult journey across a wide variety of terrain. From 1844 to 1886, scores of towns in West Texas along the Chihuahua Trail were established as a result of trade
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17226.)
Location. 28° 31.129′ N, 96° 29.806′ W. Marker is in Indianola, Texas, in Calhoun County. Marker can be reached from South Ocean Drive 0.1 miles south of Channel Drive, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in a pullout loop 150 ft off the road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Lavaca TX 77979, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the Town of Indianola (here, next to this marker); Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de la Salle (approx. 0.9 miles away); Indianola (approx. one mile away); The Great Camel Experiment (approx. 1½ miles away); Mrs. Angelina Bell Peyton Eberly (approx. 1.6 miles away); Zimmerman Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Olivia (approx. 8.8 miles away); Olivia Cemetery (approx. 9.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianola.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for The Chihuahua Road.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.