Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Georgia Medical Society

 
 
Georgia Medical Society Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 18, 2008
1. Georgia Medical Society Marker
Inscription. The first Medical Society in Georgia, sixth oldest in America, was organized June 28, 1804, and continues to be active in Savannah today. Dr. Noble Wimberly Jones, first President, was the son of a member of General Oglethorpe's first settlers of 1733. Dr. Samuel Roberio Nunez, first practicing physician, arrived July 10, 1733, with the second expedition to the new colony. He arrived in time to treat successfully a raging epidemic of dysentery.

In 1740, the first clinic for the poor opened at nearby Bethesda under Dr. John Hunter and Reverend George Whitefield, who previously had founded America's oldest orphanage there.

The Georgia Medical Society adopted the state's first Code of Medical Ethics, achieved a program of systematic vaccination against smallpox, carried out health surveys of Savannah and surrounding counties, founded a Medical Library, formed the first systematic anti-malarial effort begun in the United States, and conducted extensive studies of Savannah's major epidemic diseases ­ malaria, yellow fever, and smallpox.
 
Erected 1983 by Georgia Medical Society.
 
Location. 32° 4.702′ N, 81° 5.106′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Houston St near
Georgia Medical Society Marker at Washington Square in Savannah image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Georgia Medical Society Marker at Washington Square in Savannah
E. St Julian St, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. east side at Washington Square. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington Fire Company (within shouting distance of this marker); John B. Hohenstein, Sr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Rev’d A. Dale Umbreit (within shouting distance of this marker); A. Douglass Strobhar (within shouting distance of this marker); New World Medical Plants (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Pirates House (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Georgia Medical Society (about 400 feet away); Old Harbor Light (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
 
Also see . . .  Georgia Medical Society (Celebrates 200th Anniversary ). Georgia was first a colony and then a young state for 70 years before the charter of the Society was granted. The Georgia Medical Society is the oldest county medical society in existence at the present time in the United States and the present membership is approximately 500 physicians practicing in the counties of Chatham, Effingham, Bryan, McIntosh and Long. The Society was active in encouraging the passage of laws that required licensure
Georgia Medical Society Marker near E. St Julian St image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Georgia Medical Society Marker near E. St Julian St
of physicians. (Submitted on October 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkColonial EraNotable PersonsScience & Medicine
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,595 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement