Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Crockett in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Five Courthouses of Houston County

 
 
Five Courthouses of Houston County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 28, 2018
1. Five Courthouses of Houston County Marker
Inscription.  On June 12, 1837, President Sam Houston authorized the formation of Houston County, the first newly created county in the Republic of Texas. Andrew W. Gossett (1812-1890) donated land, which included this square, for the townsite. He and his father, Elijah, both veterans of the Battle of San Jacinto, named the county for Sam Houston, and the county seat for David Crockett, a former Tennessee friend.

The first county courthouse, a log structure which served as a fortress during Indian attacks, was in use at this location by 1838. A brick building, which replaced the first courthouse in 1851, was destroyed by a fire of mysterious origin in 1865. County business was conducted in the L.E. Downes building on the southwest corner of the square until a two-story frame structure was finished in 1869. A jail addition burned in 1871 while it was under construction. The third courthouse and jail burned in 1882.

The fourth courthouse, completed at this site in 1883, was razed in 1938. While this three-story structure was under construction, county business was conducted in the Crockett Hotel. In 1975 the third-floor jail was moved to a
Five Courthouses of Houston County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 28, 2018
2. Five Courthouses of Houston County Marker
Marker on left is Five Courthouses of Houston County. Marker on right is Houston County Courthouse.
separate building and the fifth Houston County courthouse was remodeled.
 
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11132.)
 
Location. 31° 19.087′ N, 95° 27.459′ W. Marker is in Crockett, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is at the intersection of South 4th Street (U.S. 287) and East Houston Avenue (Texas Highway 21), on the left when traveling south on South 4th Street. Marker is located on the west side of the county courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 East Houston Avenue, Crockett TX 75835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Houston County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Crockett (within shouting distance of this marker); W.V. McConnell Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Miller-Spinks-Mayes Property (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Crockett Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank of Crockett (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Bank Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Mary Allen Seminary (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crockett.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for Five Courthouses of Houston County.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement