Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Alto in Cherokee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas

 
 
Site of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 28, 2018
1. Site of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas Marker
Inscription.  Originally established as Mission San Francisco de los Tejas in 1690 by Franciscan missionaries for the purpose of Christianizing and civilizing the Neches and other Indians of the region. Reestablished in 1716. Abandoned temporarily due to French incursion from Louisiana in 1719. Relocated here as San Francisco de los Neches by the Marquis de Aguayo in 1721. Removed to the Colorado River in 1730. Permanently located on the San Antonio River in 1731 and there known as San Francisco de la Espada.
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 15628.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
 
Location. 31° 36.295′ N, 95° 8.366′ W. Marker is near Alto, Texas, in Cherokee County. Marker is on State Highway 21 0.2 miles east of County Road 2807, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alto TX 75925, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Zebulon Pike Campsite (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mound Prairie
Site of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 28, 2018
2. Site of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas Marker
(approx. 1.1 miles away); Site of Neches Indian Village (was approx. 1.1 miles away but has been reported permanently removed. ); Mission Santissimo Nombre de Maria (approx. 2.6 miles away); Site of Lacy's Fort (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of the Delaware Indian Village (approx. 3.6 miles away); Chief Bowles' Last Homesite (approx. 6.1 miles away); Community of Weches (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alto.
 
Also see . . .
1. San Francisco de los Tejas Mission - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 8, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 

2. Old San Antonio Road - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 8, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial EraNative Americans
 
Old San Antonio Road DAR Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, July 28, 2018
3. Old San Antonio Road DAR Marker
One of 123 markers placed by the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1918 along the main route of the Old San Antonio Road (El Camino Real).
 

More. Search the internet for Site of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 7, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement