El Dorado in Union County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
El Dorado Female Institute
Erected 1976 by American Revolution Bicentennial Commission.
Location. 33° 12.571′ N, 92° 39.94′ W. Marker is in El Dorado, Arkansas, in Union County. Marker is on South West Avenue south of West Block Street, on the right when traveling south. Located in front of South Arkansas Community College-West Campus. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 South West Avenue, El Dorado AR 71730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oil in Arkansas — The Discovery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oil in Arkansas — Chaos (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oil in Arkansas — The Smackover Field Oil in Arkansas — The Wildcatters (approx. 0.2 miles away); El Dorado Masonic Temple (approx. 0.2 miles away); For Service in Iraq and Afghanistan (approx. ¼ mile away); The Gunfight on the Square (approx. ¼ mile away); The Gunfight on El Dorado's Courthouse Square, Oct. 9, 1902 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Dorado.
Regarding El Dorado Female Institute. Reverend William Lacy established a Presbyterian church in the new county seat. In 1843, Lacy and his wife, Julia, formed El Dorado’s first private academy in their small home. After two years, he left to manage his plantation and turned his students over to Elizabeth Banks, who founded what became El Dorado Female Institute (current site of South Arkansas Community College). The school occupied land donated by Albert Rust, the first U.S. congressman from Union County.
Categories. • Education • Women •
More. Search the internet for El Dorado Female Institute.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 54 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.