Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Falls City in Karnes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church

 
 
Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, August 11, 2018
1. Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. The second Polish colony in Karnes County, the village in this area grew out of a small settlement known as St. Joe and was formally established in 1873. At times the priest at Panna Maria would conduct services at St. Joseph School in what would become Czestochowa. The "Mother Colony" church at Panna Maria was destroyed by lightning in 1877; Czestochowa settlers decided to build their own church. This was the subject of much controversy among the Polish pioneers of Karnes County. Anton Jarzombek (1836-1922) and Frank Mutz (1814-1891) each donated land for the church. Area residents contributed their labor to build the eighty-five by forty foot church with Gervase Gabrysch (1830-1904) as contractor.

Bishop Anthony D. Pellicer blessed the church on February 10, 1878. Father W. Pelczar was assigned as the first pastor that September. As a sign of their reconciliation, the parishioners from the newly rebuilt Panna Maria church presented the new parish a large painting of the Virgin Mary of Czestochowa, the Patroness of Poland. The two congregations often shared leadership in the ensuing years. The Cestohowa church (adopting the Americanized spelling of the community) thrived into the 20th century. In the 1930s the church underwent intensive additions and remodeling. Though the original walls remained, the roof was completely removed
Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Larry D. Moore, August 11, 2018
2. Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church
and the ceiling raised. The north and south wings were added and the steeple was increased in height.

In 1998, the church celebrated its 125th anniversary. At that time, the parish consisted of 380 members. The Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church continues in the traditions of its founders.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12347.)
 
Location. 29° 0.642′ N, 97° 56.042′ W. Marker is near Falls City, Texas, in Karnes County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 3191 and County Road 389, on the right when traveling west on Highway 3191. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 FM 3191, Falls City TX 78113, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. El Fuerte del Cibolo (within shouting distance of this marker); Karnes County Courthouse (approx. 8.9 miles away); Karnes County (approx. 8.9 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement