Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Frankenmuth in Saginaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Gugel Bridge

 
 
Gugel Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 11, 2018
1. Gugel Bridge Marker
Inscription.  While W. Christian Gugel (1874-1930) was the treasurer of Saginaw County (1915-1920), he used his influence to ensure that the Dixie Hwy. Bridge was moved to span the Cass River at the Beyer Rd. location near his farm.

Because of his efforts it was called the 'Gugel Bridge' by local old timers. The grandchildren of Christian Gugel thank Wm. 'Tiny' Zehnder Jr. for restoring this bridge and making it useful once again.
 
Location. 43° 19.735′ N, 83° 46.577′ W. Marker is near Frankenmuth, Michigan, in Saginaw County. Marker is on South Beyer Road half a mile north of East Curtis Road. Beyer Road does not cross the bridge, but there is a small parking area on both the north and south sides of the bridge. Marker is on the south end of the bridge attached to the right (east) side. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frankenmuth MI 48734, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Michigan's German Settlers (approx. 1.8 miles away); Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn (approx. 1.8 miles away); Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn Restaurant
Gugel Bridge and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 11, 2018
2. Gugel Bridge and Marker
View of the bridge from the south. The top of the marker can barely be seen above the bushes on the right side.
(approx. 1.8 miles away); Frankenmuth Woolen Mill (approx. 1.9 miles away); Star of the West Milling Company (approx. 1.9 miles away); Frankenhilf (approx. 7.4 miles away); The Bavarian Colony of Frankenhilf (approx. 7.4 miles away); Clio Depot (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankenmuth.
 
Also see . . .  Beyer Road Bridge - Frankenmuth, MI. Video (3½ min.) of the bridge that also shows both historical markers. (Submitted on August 13, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Missing historical marker
There once was also a Michigan Historical Commission marker at the site. It read: "The Joliet Bridge and Iron Company built at least 25 bridges in Michigan, several of them in Saginaw County. In 1904 the company erected this unusual bridge, which has both a 60-foot pony Pratt truss and a 144-foot Pratt through truss. The bridge originally spanned the Cass River in Bridgeport Township. When it was replaced around 1919, Frankenmuth Township
Gugel Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, August 11, 2018
3. Gugel Bridge
View from Cass River (southeast side of bridge) showing only the Pratt through truss. The pony truss is out of view on the right (north) side.
supervisor and Saginaw County commissioner Christian Gugel moved the bridge to this site at Beyer Road, which lacked a crossing."
    — Submitted August 13, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
 

More. Search the internet for Gugel Bridge.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 13, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement