Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Hahira in Lowndes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site: Franklinville

 
 
Site: Franklinville Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 10, 2005
1. Site: Franklinville Marker
Inscription. When Lowndes County was created December 23, 1825, Lawrence Folsom, Sion Hall, William Blair, John J. Underwood and Daniel McCauly were appointed Commissioners to select the capital of Lowndes County. The site which they chose, named Franklinville, was designated County Seat in 1828, and was located near the center of the Lowndes County area of 1825.
In 1833, the County Seat was moved to Troupville, a small settlement about four miles west of present-day Valdosta.
 
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 092-3.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 30° 58.975′ N, 83° 16.649′ W. Marker is near Hahira, Georgia, in Lowndes County. Marker is on Franklinville Road 0.2 miles east of Skipper Bridge Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hahira GA 31632, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Coffee Road (approx. 8.3 miles away); Drexel Park (approx. 9.5 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 10.3 miles
Site: Franklinville Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 10, 2005
2. Site: Franklinville Marker
away); Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 10.4 miles away); Christian Science Church (approx. 10.4 miles away); Lowndes County (approx. 10.4 miles away); Old City Hall (approx. 10.5 miles away); Valdosta Institute (approx. 10.5 miles away).
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,389 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement