Denton in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
from Fannin County
Organized July 13, 1846
with Denton as county seat
Both town and county are
named in honor of
John B. Denton
Pioneer preacher, lawyer
and Indian fighter
First county seat designated
as Pinckneyville, 1846
Site selected in 1848 called Alton
Permanently located at Denton in 1850
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 1207.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 33° 12.924′ N, 97° 8.007′ W. Marker is in Denton, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is at the intersection of North Elm Street (U.S. 77/377) and West Oak Street, on the left when traveling south on North Elm Street. Marker is located on the courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 West Hickory Street, Denton TX 76201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Denton County Courthouse (within shouting distance Denton County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Edna Westbrook Trigg in Denton County (within shouting distance of this marker); The City of Denton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John B. Denton (about 300 feet away); Our Confederate Soldiers (about 300 feet away); Beulah A. Harriss (approx. ¼ mile away); Elm Fork Bridge (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denton.
Also see . . . Denton County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on August 15, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
More. Search the internet for Denton County.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.