Historic Decatur / A. N. Marquis and Who’s Who
Originally called St. Clairsville and platted in 1801, Decatur was named for early 19th century naval hero Stephen Decatur. It is among the oldest villages in Brown County, which before 1817 was a part of Adams County. Among its notable early residents were Nathaniel Beasley (1774-1835), the first surveyor of Adams County, and Sarah Boone Montgomery (1763-1848), a heroine of the border wars in Kentucky. Decatur and Byrd Township supported at least four known stations on the Underground Railroad. Many area residents helped conduct escaping slaves northward to freedom.
A. N. Marquis and Who’s Who
Born in Decatur and reared in nearby Hamersville, Albert Nelson Marquis (1855-1943) began his own publishing company in Cincinnati at age 21. In 1884 he moved A.N. Marquis and Co. to Chicago, where he specialized in business directories. Marquis published the first edition of Who's Who in America in 1899. Immediately successful, the "Big Red Book" listed biographical information about nationally significant individuals, and inspired many similar topical references. Marquis was editor in chief until 1940. Who's Who in America remains a standard reference for information about accomplished living Americans.
Erected 2001 by Decatur Bicentennial
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 38° 48.916′ N, 83° 42.235′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Ohio, in Brown County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Ohio Route 125) and Eagle Street (County Route 102), on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. marker is in Decatur Community Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10237 Main St, Decatur OH 45115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Decatur Civil War Monument (a few steps from this marker); Byrd Township World War I DAR Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Russell Shaw (approx. 5.7 miles away); Bentonville Anti-Horse Thief Society (approx. 6.7 miles away); Rankin House (approx. 8.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 8.8 miles away); Winchester (approx. 9.3 miles away); Ulysses S. Grant Boyhood Home (approx. 11.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Arts, Letters, Music • Settlements & Settlers • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 16, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.