Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Decatur in Macon County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Macon County's First Court House

Bronze Replica

 

—Abraham Lincoln - Eighth Judicial District —

 
Macon County's First Court House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 4, 2008
1. Macon County's First Court House Marker
Inscription. In which Abraham Lincoln once practiced Law stood West of this Marker.

1829 - 1838

Replica placed by Decatur and Macon County Heritage Committee.
 
Erected 1973 by Stephen Decatur Chapter National Society D.A.R., Decatur and Macon County Heritage Committee.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 39° 50.478′ N, 88° 57.363′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Illinois, in Macon County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and South Main Street (Illinois Highway 51), on the right when traveling east on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker and Bronze replica Court House is on southwest corner of intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur IL 62521, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Let Us All Be United (here, next to this marker); Abraham Lincoln's First Political Speech (within shouting distance of this marker); Choosing a President (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Railsplitter Candidate (about 500 feet away); Lincoln's Legacy
Right Front of Bronze Court House image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 4, 2008
2. Right Front of Bronze Court House
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of the Grand Army of the Republic (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Transfer House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dedicated to All Veterans (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Real Lincoln Highway: The Forgotten Lincoln Circuit Markers by Guy C. Fraker. Is the “leading authority" on Abraham Lincoln's trail as he and his fellow lawyers worked on the Illinois Eighth Judicial District of 1847 - 1859. See Map and History of the special Marker Series written by Guy Fraker. Over more than four hundred miles of Illinois were traveled by Lincoln and his fellow Lawyers per journey around the Circuit by horse and buggy. For students and 'they that seek' a better understanding of life in the 1860's - - this is indeed a Historical trip through the heart-land of America on the roads of Illinois. (Submitted on October 7, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.) 

2. Travel with Lincoln. Climb into Lincoln’s buggy and take a trip with Lincoln and his fellow lawyers on the job traveling Illinois as Circuit Lawyers. See all the Lincoln Circuit Markers (and a surprise or two), in the order of his
Left Front of Bronze Court House image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 4, 2008
3. Left Front of Bronze Court House
travels while a member of the Circuit of the Eighth Judicial District (of Illinois) during 1847-1857. Use the “First >>” button in the upper right to see these markers in sequence, starting from Springfield. (Submitted on October 17, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.) 

3. First Macon County Courthouse, Fairview Park (moved from Main Street), Decatur, Macon, IL. The Historical American Building Survey record for the courthouse. Includes 2 photographs, 2 schematic drawings, plus a minor amount of supplemental information on the building. (Submitted on June 29, 2012.) 
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPolitical Subdivisions
 
Right Rear of Bronze Court House image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 4, 2008
4. Right Rear of Bronze Court House
Left Rear of Bronze Court House image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 4, 2008
5. Left Rear of Bronze Court House
Front - - Full View image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 4, 2008
6. Front - - Full View
Wide View of Marker image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, October 4, 2008
7. Wide View of Marker
This Bronze replica marks the location of the Lincoln Court House location.
Macon County's First Court House (1935) image. Click for full size.
By E.E. Lundeen, July 10, 1935
8. Macon County's First Court House (1935)
This image, provided courtesy of the Historic American Buildings Survey, shows the the first court house, located in Fairview Park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,054 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 7, 2008, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.   8. submitted on June 29, 2012. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement