Sinton in San Patricio County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Courthouses of San Patricio County
County records reveal that court was held in a new frame courthouse in 1853. Sometime prior to the Civil War, construction began on a stone courthouse, but it was never completed due to the unsettled times of the war. Records show that many local residents used stones from the construction site to build chimneys for their homes.
In 1872 a new courthouse was completed. Built by Viggo Kohler, it housed court for the first time on July 15. Two jury rooms, added to opposite sides of the courthouse square in 1876, served as a temporary courthouse after a fire in 1889 destroyed the 1872 building.
After an election in 1894 resulted in the county seat's relocation to Sinton, a courthouse was built here by Otto P. Kroeger. It was replaced by a new structure in 1927.
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 28° 2.212′ N, 97° 30.903′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 W Sinton St, Sinton TX 78387, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Odem Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Early Odem Area Schools (approx. 7.3 miles away); White Point / Rosita (approx. 7.3 miles away); Meansville and Kaleta (approx. 7.3 miles away); Taft Agricultural Industrial Complex (approx. 8.1 miles away); Papalote Creek (approx. 10 miles away); Chat Work Club (approx. 15.4 miles away); Site Of Indian Point Mass Grave of 1919 Hurricane Victims (approx. 16 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 18, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.