Lowell in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
1630 - 1930
—American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission. (Marker Number 119.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers marker series.
Location. 42° 38.329′ N, 71° 18.802′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Summer Street and Favor Street, on the right when traveling west on Summer Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lowell MA 01852, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lowell Manufacturing Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Welcome to Lowell National Historical Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Central Street (approx. 0.4 miles away); Homage to Women (approx. 0.4 miles away); J.C. Ayer & Company Laboratory (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Worker W.A. Mack Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Human Construction (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lowell.
Regarding Meetinghouse Hill. Eliot Presbyterian Church (near the site of Meetinghouse Hill) is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Eliot Presbyterian Church, formed by the union of First Presbyterian Church and Eliot Union Congregational Church in 1955, is located on or near the site where Rev. John Eliot (1604-1690), Apostle to the Indians, preached to the Wamesit and Pawtucket (or Penacook) Indians in a log chapel. Eliot translated Scriptures into the Indian tongue and made many converts among the Pawtuckets. The present church, of French Gothic design, was built in 1874.
Also see . . . Historical Markers Erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission (1930) (Submitted on August 6, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 487 times since then and 39 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. 3. submitted on October 24, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.