Lane Public Library / Clark Lane
Clark Lane built this library in 1866 and donated it to the people of Hamilton two years later. The 1913 Great Miami River flood catastrophe damaged much of the building and many of its books and records. The refurbished library reopened in 1914 and was dedicated as the “Lane Public Library.” A fire five years later did considerable damage but library leaders responded in the years following by enlarging the building, establishing community outreach locations and, in 1938, offered a bookmobile service to rural areas. After World War II, the library expanded into a system that, as of 2015, served over 187,000 people in western Butler County with libraries in Hamilton, Fairfield and Oxford, the Smith Library of Regional History, the bookmobile, and a community technology center.
Clark Lane (1823-1907), industrialist and philanthropist, was a son of John Lane (1793-1880) and Rosanah Crum (1795-1877). John came with his family to the Ohio Country when it was still part of the Northwest Territory. As a young man, Clark worked in his family’s blacksmith shop, and eventually helped found Owens, Lane & Dyer Machine Company in 1854. It built agricultural machinery, sawmills, papermaking machines, and other products, initiating Hamilton’s prominence in metals manufacturing. Lane funded the Butler
Erected 2017 by Lane Public Library, W.E. Smith Family Charitable Trust, and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 37-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 24.178′ N, 84° 33.505′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is on Third Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. marker is in the parking lot of the Lane Public Library-Hamilton Branch. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 N. 3rd Street, Hamilton OH 45011, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lane-Hooven House (within shouting distance of this marker); Beckett Homesite (approx. ¼ mile away); Cosmopolitan No. 4 (approx. ¼ mile away); Trinity Episcopal Church Abraham Lincoln's 1859 Hamilton Speech (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lentil Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Butler County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Heritage Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 25, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 25, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.