Bush Campus Center
Pennsylvania College of Technology History Trail Stop 4
— 1914 • Centennial • 2014 —
Constructed in 1993
The Bush Campus Center offers vital student services and activities. Developing social and leadership skills, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and preparing for the world of work are important aspects of student life that occur within the Bush Campus Center.
A historical marker declares this site once was home to W.D. Crooks and Sons, which crafted high-quality wood veneer doors for the White House, U.S. Capitol, Library of Congress, Pentagon, National Art Gallery, and other public buildings from 1886 to 1971.
Access to the area's plentiful hardwood resources and to skilled craftsmen, including those trained in nearby vocational shops, contributed to the company's success.
Elizabeth Crooks Bush, daughter of one of the operators of the renowned door company, also was the wife of Alvin C. Bush, for whom the center is named.
Inside the Campus Center (CC)
• CC Commons
• Fitness center
• Penn's Inn
Alvin C. Bush
Alvin C. Bush, who served two terms in the state legislature (1961-70 and 1985-94) sponsored legislation in the Pennsylvania House
[Marker timeline images, from left to right]
• Before the College Store moved to this location, it was located in the former Cromar factory building west of campus and later near the former library in what is now the Lifelong Education Center.
• Before the Children's Learning Center was relocated to the Lifelong Education Center in 2010, early education was offered in the Campus Center.
• Prior to Bookmarks Cafe in Madigan Library, the CC Coffee House was a popular spot for relaxation.
• Counseling and career services are offered to students in this facility, aiding them in resolving social and emotional problems, as well as making academic and career choices.
• Prior to the opening of The Gallery at Penn College, students displayed their work here.
[School's centennial timeline]
1914 - Williamsport Area School District Adult Education
1941 - Williamsport Technical Institute
1965 - Williamsport Area Community College
1989 - Pennsylvania College of Technology
Erected 2014 by Pennsylvania College of Technology
Location. 41° 14.106′ N, 77° 1.38′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is at the intersection of Hagan Way and College Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Hagan Way. Marker and building are on the Pennsylvania College of Technology campus. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport PA 17701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. W.D. Crooks & Sons Door Plant (a few steps from this marker); Madigan Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Student & Administrative Services Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Main Entrance (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Victorian House (about 500 feet away); Remembrance Garden (about 700 feet away); Breuder Advanced Technology & Health Sciences Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thompson Professional Development Center (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
Also see . . . Penn College History Trail. (Submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Bush Campus Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 47 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on July 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.