Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near South Bend in St. Joseph County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

University of Notre Dame Band

 
 
University of Notre Dame Band Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 3, 2008
1. University of Notre Dame Band Marker
Inscription.
A Landmark of American Music

University of Notre Dame Band

Oldest University Band in continuous existence in the United States (1846)

Presented by the National Music Council, Indiana Music Educators Association and Exxon
 
Erected 1976 by National Music Council, Indiana Music Educators Association and Exxon.
 
Location. 41° 42.08′ N, 86° 13.851′ W. Marker is near South Bend, Indiana, in St. Joseph County. Touch for map. This marker is inside the Ricci Band Building on the campus of the University of Notre Dame. Before the Ricci Band Building was built in 1990, it was outside Washington Hall, the former band room. Marker is in this post office area: Notre Dame IN 46556, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Knute Rockne (approx. 0.2 miles away); Coach Frank Leahy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vetville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clarke Peace Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Notre Dame Fieldhouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lou Holtz (approx. 0.3 miles away); Riehle Playing Field (approx. 0.4 miles away); Michael A. Berticelli (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Bend.
 
More about this marker.
South entrance to Washington Hall image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 3, 2008
2. South entrance to Washington Hall
The marker was originally outside the east entrance of Washington Hall (41.702681, -86.238097). The band rehearsed here until 1990, when the Ricci Band Building was completed.
Normally, markers mounted indoors are not normally included in the Historical Marker database. However, this marker was originally mounted outside at the east entrance to Washington Hall (approximated coordinates 41.702681, -86.238097). As it was once outside, it qualifies.
 
Regarding University of Notre Dame Band. The Notre Dame Victory March was written in 1908 by Notre Dame graduates Father Michael Shea and his brother John. It was later arranged by band director Joseph Cassasanta to the version known today.
 
Also see . . .  University of Notre Dame Band. (Submitted on October 13, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, Music
 
Ricci Band Rehearsal Hall image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 3, 2008
3. Ricci Band Rehearsal Hall
Current home of the Band of the Fighting Irish.
Plaque inside Ricci Band Rehearsal Hall image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 3, 2008
4. Plaque inside Ricci Band Rehearsal Hall
Ricci Band Rehearsal Hall in honor of Charles P. Ricci given by Kenn C. Ricci
Dedicated November 16, 2006 University of Notre Dame
Cassasanta Plaque in Ricci Hall image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 3, 2008
5. Cassasanta Plaque in Ricci Hall
In Memoriam
Joseph J. Cassasanta
January 23, 1901 - December 1, 1968
Composer of Notre Dame Songs
"Notre Dame, Our Mother" (Alma Mater)
"Down the Line"
"Hike, Notre Dame"
"When the Irish Backs Go Marching By"
Member, Department of Music 1923-42;Chairman, 1927-37
Director, Notre Dame Bands, 1923-42
Director, Notre Dame Glee Club, 1923-38
O'Brien Plaque in Ricci Band Building image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 4, 2008
6. O'Brien Plaque in Ricci Band Building
In Memoriam
Robert F. O'Brien
June 24, 1921 - July 1, 2003
Director of Bands 1952-1986
Composer "Damsha Bua" Victory Clog
Founder National Catholic Band Association
"When a person gets so wrapped up in Notre Dame, it is hard to even consider another school." O'B
Notre Dame Plaid image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 3, 2008
7. Notre Dame Plaid
Display in the Notre Dame Bookstore. The plaid is the piece of official Notre Dame tartan that hangs off the left shoulder of today's marching band uniforms. The idea for the plaid originated with former band director Robert F. O'Brien and was designed with the help of Frank Amussen. On March 11, 1970 it was submitted for approval to the Court of Lord Lyon in Edinburgh, Scotland, and was later adopted and trademarked by the University.
Band Uniforms image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 3, 2008
8. Band Uniforms
Display in the Notre Dame Bookstore. Irish Guard, Band and Drum Major Uniforms.
Notre Dame Band Uniforms past and present image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 3, 2008
9. Notre Dame Band Uniforms past and present
Display in Ricci Band Building.
Notre Dame Alumni Band image. Click for full size.
October 4, 2008
10. Notre Dame Alumni Band
On October 4, 2008 the 300-strong Notre Dame Alumni Band marched at the N D - Stanford football game with the current Marching Band in celebration of the centenial anniversary of the Notre Dame Victory March.
Alumni Trumpets on the steps of the main building image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 4, 2008
11. Alumni Trumpets on the steps of the main building
Each section posed for pictures before step off to the Stadium for the Stanford game. John Steidl, '41 (front center wearing the Golden Dome helmet) was the oldest participant.
Band of the Fighting Irish image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, October 4, 2008
12. Band of the Fighting Irish
Led by the Irish Guard the Notre Dame Marching Band performs their pre-game show before the Stanford football game.
University of Notre Dame Band Marker - Original Location image. Click for full size.
By Kathy Walker, June 5, 2010
13. University of Notre Dame Band Marker - Original Location
The Notre Dame Band Marker was originally located here, on a northeast corner of Washington Hall where the band used to rehearse. Notice the slightly discolored bricks where the marker used to be. The entrance to the band building was at the door next to the light.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,837 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 8, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 10, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.   10, 11, 12. submitted on October 11, 2008, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.   13. submitted on October 16, 2010, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement