Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Site of Headquarters
Brigadier General Thomas J. Wood, U.S.V.
Commanding 3rd and 4th Corps
(Marker Number MT-57.)
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 2.927′ N, 85° 18.163′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was on Vine Street east of Houston Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 504 Vine Street, Chattanooga TN 37403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Point in the Line of Fort Sherman (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Point in the Line of Works (approx. 0.2 miles away); Headquarters of Brigadier General George D. Wagner (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Bragg's Headquarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Military History of Chattanooga (approx. ¼ mile away); Abby Crawford Milton (approx. ¼ mile away); First Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, “Cast iron tablet on post at 504 Vine Street."
Regarding Site of Headquarters.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. A list of the tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga, in the mid-1890s, that identify historical points in connection with the
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 27, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.