Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Headquarters of Brigadier General John M. Brannan, U.S.V.
Brigadier General John M. Brannan, U.S.V.
Chief of Artillery
Department of the Cumberland
(Marker Number MT-28.)
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 3.197′ N, 85° 18.448′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was on Walnut Street south of East 3rd Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 302 Walnut Street, Chattanooga TN 37403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Ernest Walter Holmes, Sr. (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Swaim's Jail (about 700 feet away); Site of Battery Smartt (approx. 0.2 miles away); Point in the Line of Fort Sherman (approx. 0.2 miles away); Headquarters Row (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chattanooga's First School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Bragg's Headquarters (approx. ¼ mile away); Headquarters of Brigadier General George D. Wagner (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, “Cast iron tablet in brick building at
Regarding Headquarters of Brigadier General John M. Brannan, U.S.V.. With much help from Raney Suzette of the Local History and Genealogy Department of the Chattanooga Public Library, I have been able to put together some background information on these bronze and/or iron, Civil War related, tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. A list
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 28, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.