Woodstock Tercentenary (1686 - 1986)
This building was used regularly until 1929. During the following decade it had occasional use before closing forever about 1939. It was used for a time by the Sunnyside Sunday School, and later owned by the neighborhood mutual benefit society. In 1969 it was acquired by The Woodstock Historical Society as the only one room school not converted to other uses and still on its original site in this town. Woodstock’s one room schools were abandoned with consolidation of students at the Woodstock Elementary school in 1950.
Erected June 1, 1986
In celebration of Woodstock’s 300th Anniversary
Erected 1986 by Woodstock Tercentenary Committee.
Location. 41° 58.95′ N, 72° 4.941′ W. Marker is in Woodstock, Connecticut, in Windham
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union (approx. 4 miles away); Union’s 250th Birthday Time Capsule (approx. 4 miles away); Union Civil War Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Union Veterans Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Site of the first Meetinghouse in Union (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Town Pound (approx. 4.1 miles away); North Woodstock Village Corners (approx. 4.4 miles away); Tantiusques (approx. 5 miles away in Massachusetts).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 30, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2018. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 28, 2018. 3. submitted on August 28, 2018, by Ron Sanderson of Woodstock Valley, Connecticut. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.