Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Headquarters of Major General U. S. Grant, U.S.A.
Major General U. S. Grant, U. S. A.
Commanding Military Division
Of the Mississippi
And of His Successor
Major General W. T. Sherman, U. S. V.
(Marker Number MT-36.)
Location. Marker is missing. It was located near 35° 3.34′ N, 85° 18.55′ W. Marker was in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker was on East 1st Street east of Market Street (Tennessee Route 8), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 110 East 1st Street, Chattanooga TN 37402, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Headquarters Row (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ross's Landing (about 400 feet away); Trail of Tears (about 400 feet away); 1790 John Ross 1866 (about 700 feet away); Chattanooga's First Citizens (about 700 feet away); "Cherokee" (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Ross's Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Battery Smartt (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the marker is a, “Bronze
Regarding Headquarters of Major General U. S. Grant, U.S.A.. With much help from Raney Suzette of the Local History and Genealogy Department of the Chattanooga Public Library, I have been able to put together some background information on these bronze and/or iron, Civil War related, tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga.
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. A list of the tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga, in the mid-1890s, that identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 28, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 28, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.