Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Maries in Benewah County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

St. Maries - Steaming with History

 
 
St. Maries - Steaming with History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 7, 2018
1. St. Maries - Steaming with History Marker
Inscription. St. Maries, named by Jesuit Father Pierre DeSmet during the 1840s, sits at the confluence of the "Shadowy" St. Joe and St. Maries rivers. It was recognized as a settlement in the 1880s. Incorporated as a village in 1902, and as a city in 1913, it stayed part of Kootenai County until the formation of Benewah County on January 23, 1915. Then it became the county seat for newly created Benewah County.
During the 1880s, Monroe Dagger claimed squatters rights on property that was later destined to become St. Maries. It was then determined to actually belong to the Union Pacific Railroad - from whom Joseph Fisher purchased it before platting it in 1889.
Steamboats...

During the early 1900s, the primary method of travel to St. Maries was by water. St. Maries attracted numerous tourists and steamboat travelers from Coeur d'Alene (photo, top center-left). There were many daily scheduled round-trips between the two communities until the construction of better road during the 1920s.
Steam Trains...

The Milwaukee, St. Paul, Puget Sound Railroad (Milwaukee Road) operated through St. Maries from 1909 to 1980. This photo (photo, top center-right) shows at the first train through the town on May 14, 1909.
and Steam Donkeys

A locomotive
St. Maries - Steaming with History Marker, right half image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 7, 2018
2. St. Maries - Steaming with History Marker, right half
without wheels, the Willamette donkeys (photo, bottom center) were fueled by wood or oil. This generated steam to turn drums spooled with cable. The cable was used to skid logs to different locations.

(sidebar -- bottom right)
Always a Logging Town

St. Maries has alway been a logging town and is proud of the fact. As early as 1892, seven million board feet of logs were driven down the St. Joe and St. Maries rivers and floated past the city to be processed at Idaho mills. Brails are still used as a method to move logs to distant mills.
 
Erected by Museum of Northern Idaho.
 
Location. 47° 18.98′ N, 116° 33.93′ W. Marker is in St. Maries, Idaho, in Benewah County. Marker is on Main Avenue near North Sixth Street (State Highway 5), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 538 Main Avenue, Saint Maries ID 83861, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hughes House Historical Museum (here, next to this marker); Timber Made This Town (here, next to this marker); The 1910 Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); The St. Marie's "Occupation" of 1918
St. Maries - Steaming with History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 7, 2018
3. St. Maries - Steaming with History Marker
Marker on the right.
(approx. mile away); Willamette Steam Donkey Engine (approx. one mile away); Splash Dam at Hobo Creek (approx. one mile away); Mullan Trail Road (approx. one mile away); John Mullan (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Maries.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 29, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement