Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Knoxville in Crawford County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

William Bartram Trail

Traced 1773-1777

 

—Deep South Region —

 
William Bartram Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, June 27, 2007
1. William Bartram Trail Marker
Inscription. In July 1774 William Bartram camped nearby at “a beautiful large brook”, Sweet Water, on a trek from Augusta to Cusetta.
 
Erected by Magnolia District (of the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc.) in cooperation with Good Earth Garden Club (Roberta, Ga.) and Crawford County Commissioners/Crawford County Courthouse Knoxville, Ga.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the William Bartram Trails marker series.
 
Location. 32° 43.454′ N, 83° 59.869′ W. Marker is in Knoxville, Georgia, in Crawford County. Marker is at the intersection of East Agency Street (Georgia Route 42) and Hartman Mill Road, on the right when traveling west on East Agency Street. Touch for map. The marker is at the rear of the Crawford County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Knoxville GA 31050, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joanna Troutman (a few steps from this marker); Alexis de Tocqueville (within shouting distance of this marker); Crawford County (within shouting distance of this marker); Federal Wire Road (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named William Bartram Trail (approx. ¾ mile away); Creek Agency - Old Agency (approx. 6.5 miles away); a different marker also named William Bartram Trail (approx. 9.6 miles away); Taylor County Rural Electric Cooperative (approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Knoxville.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USColonial EraHorticulture & ForestryNotable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,209 times since then and 45 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement