Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lexington, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Washington and Lee University

 
 
Washington and Lee University Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Hogan, July 9, 2010
1. Washington and Lee University Marker
Inscription. Founded, 1749, as Augusta Academy, near Greenville; reestablished at Timber Ridge, May, 1776, as Liberty Hall Academy; moved to Lexington and chartered as a college, 1782; endowed by George Washington, 1796, and named for him. Under presidency, 1865-1870, of Robert E. Lee (buried in the university chapel), whose name after death was incorporated in the official title.
 
Erected 1936 by Conservation and Development Commission. (Marker Number I-8.)
 
Location. 37° 47.221′ N, 79° 26.495′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Virginia. Marker is on Jefferson St. near Letcher St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington VA 24450, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Traveller’s Grave (within shouting distance of this marker); General Lee’s Beloved Traveller (within shouting distance of this marker); William Graham (within shouting distance of this marker); Cyrus Hall McCormick (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Robinson (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Washington and Lee University
Washington and Lee University Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 21, 2012
2. Washington and Lee University Marker
(about 400 feet away); Morris House (about 500 feet away); Lee-Jackson House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
 
Regarding Washington and Lee University. Washington and Lee University was founded in 1749. It is a four-year liberal arts college with a well-respected law school. George Washington endowed the school with 100 shares of James River Company stock in 1796. This gift saved the school from closing.

Robert E. Lee became president of the college after the Civil War in 1865. Because of his prestige and influence it became a university of national stature. After his death in 1870 it was renamed in recognition of his devotion and service.

The Lee House (1869) on the Front Campus was designed by General Lee to be the home of the president of the school. The neoclassical front campus of the university was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961. The Department of the Interior characterized W&L as "one of the most dignified and beautiful college campuses in the nation."
 
Also see . . .
1. Official History of Washington and Lee University. The ninth oldest institution of higher learning
Marker in Lexington image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 21, 2012
3. Marker in Lexington
in the nation. (Submitted on October 10, 2008.) 

2. Wikipedia entry for Washington and Lee University. a private liberal arts college in Lexington, Virginia. The classical school from which Washington and Lee is descended was established in 1749 as Augusta Academy, about 20 miles north of its present location. After the American Civil War, General Robert E. Lee turned down several financially tantalizing offers of employment that would merely have traded on his name, and instead accepted the post of college president for three reasons. (Submitted on October 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. EducationNotable Places
 
Lee Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 1980
4. Lee Chapel
The center of Washington and Lee University activities since its construction in 1867.
Lee Chapel image. Click for full size.
5. Lee Chapel
Washington Hall image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 1980
6. Washington Hall
Newcomb, Payne, Washington, and Robinson Halls image. Click for full size.
from Wikipedia
7. Newcomb, Payne, Washington, and Robinson Halls
The Lee Chapel image. Click for full size.
Historical Postcard
8. The Lee Chapel
The famous Recumbent Statue of General Lee, was created by noted Richmond Sculpter, Edward Valentine, commissioned after the general's death. In 1883, a special chamber was added to the Lee Chapel to house the masterpiece, and the area below the statue chamber, the Lee family mausoleum was located.
Valley View Postcard cir. 1980
The Recumbent Statue of General Lee image. Click for full size.
Historical Postcard
9. The Recumbent Statue of General Lee
The sataue is generally held to portray Lee, the general in full uniform, at rest on his cot in his headquarters tent.
Valley View Postcard cir. 1980
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,311 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 10, 2011, by Don Hogan of Milton, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on August 21, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on October 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement