Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport in Orleans County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Early 19th Century Newport / Newport au dèbut du 19e siècle

 
 
Early 19th Century Newport / Newport au dèbut du 19e siècle Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 12, 2018
1. Early 19th Century Newport / Newport au dèbut du 19e siècle Marker
Inscription.

Newport was first organized as a town on October 25, 1781, though its charter was not issued until October 30, 1802, when it was granted to Nathan Fish and George Duncan under the name Duncansboro. It was not until November 16, 1816 when a small part of Coventry and Salem were annexed to the territory, that the town changed its name from Duncansboro to Newport. The earliest settlement of Duncansboro took place in 1793. Two brothers, Deacon Martin and Calendar Adams, along with their wives, blazed a trail from St. Johnsbury to the Barton River at which point they canoed to the lake. By 1800, there were 11 families in town; it was this early settlement that would eventually become the incorporated village of Newport. Newport would not hold its first official town meeting until April 30, 1864.

During the early 1800's today's downtown Newport was known as "Pickerel Point", consisting of a dense, swampy wilderness of pine trees and stumps. In 1820 Captain John Sias of Derby purchased the Point for $250. After clearing the land, eight years later, he sold it to his son-in-law, George W. Smith, who with his wife, Sally Sias, built a log home on the future site of the Memphremagog House.

[Photo captions, top left to bottom right, read]
• Newport's Main Street circa 1856

• Early Settler's Homestead circa 1700's

Early 19th Century Newport / Newport au dèbut du 19e siècle Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 12, 2018
2. Early 19th Century Newport / Newport au dèbut du 19e siècle Marker
Looking SSE toward Main Street
• Isaac Brunelle Log House (Photographed in the late 19th century when it was barely standing, this was a typical structure of the early 19th century settler.)

———————————————————

Newport est devenu un village le 26 octobre 1781, mais sa charte ne fut émise que le 30 octobre 1802 lorsqu'elle fut accordée à Nathan Fish et George Duncan sous le nom de Duncansboro. Ce n'est que le 16 novembre 1816, lorsqu'une petite partie de Coventry et Salem a été annexée au territoire, que le nom de la ville a été changé de Duncansboro à Newport. Le premier établissement de Duncansboro est survene en 1793. Deux frères, Deacon Martin et Calendar Adams, accompagnés de leurs épouses, ont ouvert un chemin de St-Johnsbury à la rivière Barton et, de là, se sont rendus jusqu'au lac en canot. En 1800, on comptait 11 familles au village; c'est ce premier établissement qui, éventuellement, a été incorporé en village de Newport. Cependant, la première réunion municipale de Newport ne s'est tenue que le 30 avril 1864.

Au début des années 1800, le site du centre-ville de Newport, alors appelé « Pickerel Point » (La Pointe au Petit Brochet), était un endroit sauvage formé de marais jonchés de troncs d'arbres et où s'élevaient des pins. En 1820, le capitaine John Sias de Derby s'est porté acquéreur de la Pointe pour la somme de $250. Huit ans plus tard, après avoir défriché le terrain, il l'a vendu à son gendre, George W. Smith, qui, avec son épouse Sally Sias, se sont construit une maison en bois rond sur le futur site de la Memphremagog House.

[Légendes photo, en haut à gauche à droite, lire]
• (La rue principale de Newport) circa 1856

• (La propriété d'un ancien colon) circa 1700's

• La maison en bois rond d'Isaac Brunelle (Photographiée à la fin du 19e siècle alors qu'elle tenait encore à peine, cette construction coloniale est typique de début du 19e siècle.) circa 1800's
 
Erected by Memphremagog Historical Society. (Marker Number 2.)
 
Location. 44° 56.238′ N, 72° 12.522′ W. Marker is in Newport, Vermont, in Orleans County. Touch for map. Marker is on the public boardwalk deck, about 300 feet NNW of the intersection of Main (US 5) and Coventry Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Newport VT 05855, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Northern Forest Canoe Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lane Opera House / Le « Lane Opera House » (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Newport's Hotels and Tourism / Les Hotels de Newport et le Tourisme (about 400 feet away); Tour Boats on the Lake / Les Bateaux de Randonnée sur le Lac (about 500 feet away); The Arrival of the Railroad / L'Arrivée du Chemin de Fer (about 600 feet away); Pomerleau Park (about 600 feet away); Newport's Fire Fighters / Les Pompiers de Newport (about 700 feet away); Early 20th Century, Newport / Newport au début du 20e siècle (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
 
Also see . . .  Historical Walking Tour of Newport, Vt. Brochure. (Submitted on August 31, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 31, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 31, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement