Burton in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Second High School / The Burton Public Library
The Second High School
This Queen Anne style building with segmental-arched windows and steep hipped roof was Burton's second high school. Completed in 1885 at a cost of $12,500, it is wood framed with a brick and stone exterior, modeled after an academy in River Falls, Wisconsin. Its basement and two upper floors contained 12,720 square feet of space, enough for all twelve grades. There were two separate entrances; girls entered on the left and boys on the right. Electricity was installed in 1921 by the superintendent and students. Classes met here until 1936. During its history, the building housed various organizations, including the Red Cross, Opportunity School of Geauga County (later Metzenbaum), Geauga County Historical Society, American Legion, and County Extension Office. In 1937, it became the home of the Burton Public Library and in 1983 was expanded with a north wing designed to be architecturally consistent with the original 1885 structure.
The Burton Public Library
The Burton Public Library was established in 1910 by the Civic Improvement Society, a group of Burton women dedicated to the betterment of the Burton community. The Society held a community "book shower" that provided 567 volumes to begin the collection. Library membership was one dollar
Erected 2009 by Burton Public Library and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-28.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 28.304′ N, 81° 8.755′ W. Marker is in Burton, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker is on West Park Street 0.1 miles south of Spring Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burton OH 44021, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Erected to the Memory of the Soldiers of the American Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); In Commemoration of Rev. Joseph Badger (within shouting Burton Congregational Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Burton, Ohio-First Permanent Settlement in Geauga County / The Village Green (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil War Cannon (about 300 feet away); Under This Penstock Base (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Burton (about 400 feet away); The Burton Village Historic District (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burton.
Categories. • Architecture • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.