Chardon in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Chardon Business District
Chardon was designated the county seat of Geauga County in 1808. On July 25, 1868, the entire village business district (now Main Street) was destroyed by fire, including forty businesses, offices, meeting halls, and the 1824 courthouse. Citizens immediately rallied and formed the Chardon Building Company. In August 1868 they contracted with Herrick and Simmons of Cleveland to build the Union Block using fire-resistant brick. This was one of Rensselaer R. Herrick's (Cleveland Mayor 1879-1882) last construction jobs. The Union Block occupies the northern half of this block of Main Street. (Continued on other side)
In September of 1868, L.J. Randall, local banker and businessman, contracted to build the Randall Block, starting at the south end of Main Street extending to the Union Block. Both blocks were completed in 1869. The Independent Order of Odd Fellow (I.O.O.F.) Hall was added to this block in 1879. The Chardon Courthouse Square District, composed of the courthouse, all of the buildings on Main Street, and Chardon Square, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. This district is significant, in part, because the late nineteenth century structures are unusually harmonious in design and in their relationship to one another.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 34.878′ N, 81° 12.241′ W. Marker is in Chardon, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker is on Main Street 0.1 miles north of Water Street (U.S. 6), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chardon OH 44024, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chardon Business District / Geauga County Courthouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Old" Chardon Post Office (about 600 feet away); Fowlers Mill Historic District / Fowlers Mill (approx. 4½ miles away); Fowlers Mill Historic District / A.B. Carlson Building (approx. 4.6 miles away); First Congregational Church of Claridon UCC (approx. 4.6 miles away); Welton Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away); Burton Congregational Church (approx. 8.1 miles away); Civil War Cannon (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chardon.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.