Thompson in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Thompson Ledges / Thompson Ledges Park
Due to what is known as the Sharon Conglomerate or pebbly sandstone, these ledges have played an important role in the daily life of local residents and the economy. The porousness of this rock, which underlies much of Geauga County, supplies most of the county's drinking water. Thompson Ledges also provided building stone with stone cutters working in quarries turning out doorsteps, watering troughs, gateposts, culverts, and bridges from mid-1800 to 1911 for use in Thompson, Geauga County and occasionally beyond. After 1900, cement became the preferred building material, but still used silica pebbles from the Ledges for gravel and cement. The Ledges have an unusual ecosystem containing several distinctive forests. A chestnut oak forest is pervasive on the top while a northern hemlock forest exists in the exposed creaks and crevices of the upper rim and ledges.
Thompson Ledges Park
Thompson Ledges have long been known for their natural beauty, with caverns, fissures, springs, and a striking view. The area was known to early setters and explorers, but has been a popular tourist and picnic area since the 19th century. This attraction encouraged the Thompson Township residents to create, by vote, one of the county's earliest parks. The project began
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, Longaberger Company, Thompson Township Park Commission and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 6-28.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 41.399′ N, 81° 2.726′ W. Marker is in Thompson, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker is on Thompson Road (Local Route 7) 0.2 miles east of Madison Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Thompson OH 44086, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Charles Martin Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Unionville Tavern (approx. 6.6 miles away); Harpersfield Covered Bridge (approx. 6.9 miles away); Hugh Mosher and the "Spirit of '76" Uri Seeley House (approx. 8.6 miles away); Rabbit Run Theater (approx. 9.2 miles away); Ransom E. Olds-Birthplace (approx. 9.3 miles away); Lake County YMCA (approx. 10˝ miles away).
Also see . . . Thompson Township Parks. (Submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.