Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Utrecht, Netherlands
 

Paleis Lofen

 
 
Paleis Lofen Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 23, 2016
1. Paleis Lofen Marker
Inscription. Lofen werd rond 1050 gebouwd door keizer Hendrik III. Het was één van de paleizen die de keizer van het Heilige Romeinse Rijk, waar Utrecht sinds het jaar 925 toebehoorde, tot zijn beschikking had. Het paleis werd gebouwd tegen de binnenzijde van de in de 10de eeuw vernieuwde Westmuur van het voormalige Romeinse castellum. Van tijd tot tijd bracht de keizer met zijn reizende hofhouding een bezoek aan het Utrechtse paleis (paltz) dat veel gelijkenis vertoonde met andere paleizen in het rijk, zoals die in het Duitse Paderborn. Tijdens de afwezigheid van de keizer bleef Lofen dienst doen als regionaal bestuurscentrum. In de loop van de 13de eeuw nam de belangstelling van de toenmalige keizers voor de Utrechtse residentie af. Na een grote stadsbrand in 1253, werden binnen de muren van Lofen 'De drie stenen huizen van de Dom' gebouwd. Deze huizen beleefden in de loop der eeuwen ieder hun eigen geschiedenis, maar de structuur van Lofen is ondanks deze verbouwingen goeddeels bewaard gebleven, met name op kelderniveau.

-

(English transcription:)

Built around 1050 by Emperor Henry III, the Paleis Lofen was one of the palaces that the emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, to which Utrecht had belonged since the year 925, had at his disposal. The palace was built against the inside of the walls of the

Paleis Lofen Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, November 23, 2016
2. Paleis Lofen Marker - wide view
The marker is visible on the left corner of the white building.
former Roman castellum, which was renovated in the 10th century. From time to time, the emperor and his traveling court visited the Utrecht palace (paltz), which was very similar to other palaces in the empire, such as those in Paderborn, Germany. During the Emperor's absence, Lofen continued to serve as a regional administrative center. Over the course of the 13th century, the emperors' interest in the Utrecht residence declined. After a major city fire in 1253, "three stone houses of the Dom" (Cathedral) were built upon the walls of Lofen. These houses have experienced their own history over the centuries, but the structure of Lofen has largely been preserved despite these renovations, especially at basement level.
 
Location. 52° 5.454′ N, 5° 7.254′ E. Marker is in Utrecht, Utrecht. Marker is on Domplein just north of Servetstraat, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Domplein 10, Utrecht 3512 JC, Netherlands.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Paleis Lofen (within shouting distance of this marker); Utrechtse Sodomieprocessen / Utrecht Sodomy Trials (within shouting distance of this marker); Verzetsmonument Utrecht / Utrecht Resistance Monument
Paleis Lofen - remnants visible in the cellar image. Click for full size.
Utrecht Archive (via Wikimedia Commons), 1928
3. Paleis Lofen - remnants visible in the cellar
(within shouting distance of this marker); Maartensbrug en Oude Gracht / "St. Martin's Bridge" on the Old Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); In Het Voetspuur Van Sint Maarten / In the Footsteps of Saint Martin (within shouting distance of this marker); Het Runensteen van Jelling Afgietsel / The Jelling Runestone Replica (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Universiteit Utrecht / Utrecht University (about 120 meters away); Claustraal Huis van Oudemunster / Canon House of the Former Oudmunster Church (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Utrecht.
 
Also see . . .  Lofen (Wikipedia, in Dutch). (Submitted on September 3, 2018.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement