Rivière Dorée, Choiseul, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
The Rivière Dorée Grace Church
Welcome to the Rivière Dorée Grace Church
Was built in 1846 by the Alexander Family of Scotland. The family remains and those African Prince – Prince John lie in the cemetery across the road
The school was the first to be built after Emancipation in 1834
Location. 13° 45.893′ N, 61° 2.173′ W. Marker is in Rivière Dorée, Choiseul. Marker is on Leeward Highway, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 13 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Pitons World Heritage Site (approx. 11.7 kilometers away in Soufrière).
Regarding The Rivière Dorée Grace Church. As of September 1, 2018, the cemetery across the street from the church was enclosed by roofing sheet metal for a fence and was not visible. The school, founded in 1834 and mentioned in the marker text, is just south of the church and is currently a fairly modern school with no obvious original school remnants.
The Slavery Abolition Act of 1833 came into effect on August 1, 1834. In practical terms, only slaves below the age of six were freed in the colonies, such as here in St. Lucia. Former slaves over the age of six were redesignated as "apprentices", and their
Categories. • African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.