Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Disraeli in Les Appalaches MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

Histoire de la gare de Disraeli

[History of Disraeli Station]

 

—1879 • 1969 —

 
Histoire de la gare de Disraeli Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 12, 2018
1. Histoire de la gare de Disraeli Marker
Inscription.

Lorsque le train du Quebec Central Railway (Q.C.R.) arrive à Disraeli pour la première fois, le 12 mai 1877, il n'y a pas encore de gare pour accueillir les voyageurs. Ceux-ci doivent débarquer à l'hôtel d'Honoré Morin, situé tout près de la voie ferrée. Il faudra attendre en 1879 pour que le Q.C.R. construise une gare devant accommoder la population locale. Elle était située sur la rue Champlain entre les rues Champoux et Laurier.

M. Eugène Rheault fut le premier chef de gare. Il avait son logis à même la station. Quant à Odina Bérubé, il occupera le poste de chef de gare pendant plus de 30 ans.

L'arrivée du train et la construction de la gare vont complètement transformer la vie de la population locale. Dorénavant, Disraeli ne sera plus ce petit village isolé et sans communications avec l'extérieur car des contacts pourront être rapidement établis avec le reste du monde. Le courrier va arriver régulièrement et sera distribué chaque jour à partir de la gare elle-même, et ce, jusqu'en 1881.

Grâce au train, les gens de chez nous pourront se rendre en quelques heures à Sherbrooke, Thetford-Mines ou Québec. La vie économique et sociale sera complètement transformée. La Compagnie Champoux, établie à Disraeli dès 1872, n'aura plus à se contenter d'un petit marché local ; elle pourra désormais, grâce au réseau ferroviaire,

Histoire de la gare de Disraeli Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 12, 2018
2. Histoire de la gare de Disraeli Marker
vendre son bois sur les marchés américains et britanniques. Les meubles que la manufacture Marius Ouellet Ltée fabrique dans son usine pourront se retrouver partout à travers le Canada. Dorénavant, les commerces locaux seront alimentés en produits variés venant de partout.

Pendant presque cent ans, la gare sera le grand centre d'attraction des gens d'ici. L'arrivée des quatre trains de voyageurs chaque jour (deux en provenance de Sherbrooke et deux de Québec) va attirer tous les curieux et les flâneurs du village. La gare fera alors office de « centre d'information ». De plus, comme c'est de la station que partiront les télégrammes porteurs de bonnes ou de mauvaises nouvelles, le bruit répétitif et saccadé du télégraphe, combiné au sifflement du train qui arrive à la gare, va créer une atmosphère de mystère.

La magie du chemin de fer va s'estomper à la fin des années '50, lorsque le moteur diesel remplacera l'engin à vapeur et que le transport des marchandises se fera de plus en plus par camions. Et comme les gens préféreront l'automobile au train pour les déplacements sur de longues distances, le Q.C.R. mettra fin à son train pour voyageurs.

En juin 1969, un citoyen de Disraeli, Onésime Bilodeau, achètera l'édifice de la gare pour le convertir en résidence privée. La partie centrale de la bâtisse sera donc transportée de l'autre côte du lac, au coin des rues Bilodeau et Champagnat.

Ne reste plus, en 2014, qu'une voie ferrée à l'abandon depuis des années comme souvenir du train. Mais pour que la gare, elle, ne tombe pas dans l'oubli, un parc, aménagé au même endroit, porte aujourd'hui fièrement son nom : Parc de la Gare.

[Légendes photo à gauche lire]
• La gare de Disraeli en 1897

Le chef de gare Odina Bérubé et son épouse Cléophée Labrecque se trouvent à l'arrière-plan, à proximité de la porte. Sur la voie ferrée, au premier plan, à proximité de la draisine*, sont Philias Poulin, Stanislas Poulin, Stanislas Fournier et David Poulin, responsables de l'entretien de la voie ferrée dans le secteur de Disraeli.
*Petit véhicule automoteur utilisé par le personnel des chemins de fer pour l'entretien et la surveillance des voies.

L'arrivée du train à la gare de Disraeli, en 1923.
Les deux taxis, de modèle Ford T, appartiennent aux charretiers Jos. Audet et Cléophas Lapointe. La personne ayant le dos au chariot est Odina Bérubé, chef de gare. Il est accompagné de sons fils Donat. Tous deux s'apprêtent à faire le transport des sacs et colis postaux à l'intérieur de la gare.

[Légende photo à droite lire]
• Le passage du cortège royal à Disraeli, en juin 1939.

Le roi Georges VI fut accueilli par une foule enthousiaste à la gare de Disraeli, mais à la grande déception de tous, le train ne s'est pas arrêté. La photo aurait été prise par Olga V. Bérubé, à partir du balcon de la bijouterie d'Ernest Roy, coin Champlain et Laurier. À l'arrière-plan, nous voyons les bâtisses de la Disraeli Box.

Le train arrive à la gare.
Le train, en provenance de Québec, arrive à la gare de Disraeli par une froide matinée d'hiver.

[English translation]

When the Quebec Central Railway (Q.C.R.) arrived at Disraeli for the first time on May 12, 1877, there was no train station to accommodate travelers. They disembarked at Honoré Morin's hotel, located near the railway line. It was not until 1879 that Q.C.R. build a station to accommodate the local population. It was located on Champlain Street between Champoux and Laurier Streets.

Mr. Eugene Rheault was the first stationmaster. He had his house at the station. As for Odina Bérubé, he will occupy the position of Stationmaster for more than 30 years.

The arrival of the train and the construction of the station completely transformed the life of the local population. From then on, Disraeli was no longer an isolated little village without communication with the outside world because contacts with the rest of the world could be quickly established. The mail arrived regularly and, until 1881, was distributed every day from the station itself.

Thanks to the train, people were able to get to Sherbrooke, Thetford Mines or Quebec City in a few hours. The economic and social life was completely transformed. The Champoux Company, established in Disraeli in 1872, no longer had to settle for a small local market; it was able, thanks to the rail network, to sell its timber on the American and British markets. The furniture that Marius Ouellet Manufacturing Ltd. manufactured in its factory could be found anywhere in Canada. From then on, local businesses were supplied with various products from everywhere.

For almost a hundred years, the station was the great center of attraction for the people here. The arrival of four passenger trains each day (two from Sherbrooke and two from Quebec City) attracted the village's curious as well as it's loiterers. The station acted as an "information center." Moreover, since telegrams carrying good or bad news left the station, the telegraph's repetitive and jerky noise, combined with the whistling of the train arriving at the station, created an atmosphere of mystery.

The magic of the railroad faded in the late fifties, when the diesel engine replaced the steam engine, and the transport of goods went more and more by trucks. And since people preferred the car to the train for long-distance travel, Q.C.R. ended passenger service.

In June 1969, a citizen of Disraeli, Onésime Bilodeau, bought the station building to convert it into a private residence. The central part of the building was transported to the other side of the lake, to the corner of Bilodeau and Champagnat streets.

In 2014, only a remnant remains of the railroad that has been abandoned for years. But for the station and a park, built in the same place and proudly bearing its name, Station Park, the railroad has fallen into oblivion.

[Photo captions on left read]
• Disraeli Station in 1897

Stationmaster Odina Bérubé and his wife Cléophée Labrecque are in the background, near the door. On the railroad tracks, in the foreground, close to the railcar*, are Philias Poulin, Stanislas Poulin, Stanislas Fournier and David Poulin, responsible for the maintenance of the railway in the Disraeli sector.
*Small self-propelled vehicle used by railway personnel for track maintenance and monitoring.

The arrival of the train at Disraeli station, in 1923.
The two taxis, Model T Fords, belong to carters Jos. Audet and Cléophas Lapointe. The person with his back to the cart is stationmaster Odina Bérubé. He is accompanied by son Donat. Both are preparing to transport the bags and parcels inside the station.

[Photo captions on right read]
• The passage of the royal cortege through Disraeli, in June 1939.

King George VI was greeted by an enthusiastic crowd at Disraeli Station, but to everyone's disappointment, the train did not stop. The photo was taken by Olga V. Bérubé, from the balcony of Ernest Roy's jeweler's corner, at the corner of Champlain and Laurier [Avenues]. In the background are the Disraeli Box [company] buildings.

The train arrives at the station.
The train from Quebec City arrives at Disraeli station on a cold winter morning.
 
Erected 2014 by Société d'Histoire de Disraeli, Ville de Disraeli, and Fonds Culturel Rural MRC Appalaches.
 
Location. 45° 54.183′ N, 71° 21.595′ W. Marker is in Disraeli, Quebec, in Les Appalaches MRC. Marker is at the intersection of avenue Champlain (Quebec Route 112) and avenue Jacques Cartier, on the right when traveling south on avenue Champlain. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 150 rue De La Gare, Disraeli, Quebec G0N 1E0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 24 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Disraeli - 150 ans d'histoire a partager (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Disraeli se souvient (about 150 meters away); Black Creek... dupuis 1867, D'Israeli (about 150 meters away); La rue Laurier à travers les âges (about 180 meters away); War Memorial (approx. 23.2 kilometers away); Weedon Se Souvient! (approx. 23.2 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Quebec Central Railway. (Submitted on September 4, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Quebec Central Railway. (Submitted on September 4, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Histoire de Disraeli. (Submitted on September 4, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceParks & Recreational AreasRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 133 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement