Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eastpointe in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Erin-Warren Fractional District No. 2 School

 
 
Erin-Warren Fractional District No. 2 School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 3, 2018
1. Erin-Warren Fractional District No. 2 School Marker
Inscription.
This school served children in Erin and Warren Townships from 1872 to 1921. Beginning in 1838, German farmer Christian Gerlach held classes in his home. During the 1840s a log building served as a classroom. In 1850 a red frame school was built. In 1872 the red school was replaced with this structure. Popularly known as Halfway School, it was located in the village of Halfway, midway between Mount Clemens and Detroit. When the school closed in 1921, it was moved to the southeast corner of Nine Mile Road and Gratiot Avenue and used as a warehouse. The East Detroit Historical Society acquired the school in 1984, returning it to within one hundred feet of its original site and restoring its nineteenth century appearance.
 
Erected 1995 by Bureau of Michigan History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1706.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 27.872′ N, 82° 57.761′ W. Marker is in Eastpointe, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker is at the intersection of East Nine Mile Road and Grove Avenue, on the left when traveling west on East Nine Mile Road. Touch for map. Marker and the school are in front of
Erin-Warren Fractional District No. 2 School and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 3, 2018
2. Erin-Warren Fractional District No. 2 School and Marker
Eastpointe High School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15500 East Nine Mile Road, Eastpointe MI 48021, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Immanuel Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); The John Theisen House (approx. 2.1 miles away); Warren Township District No. 4 School (approx. 2.4 miles away); Bunert-Weier Farm (approx. 2.8 miles away); Sacred Heart Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Saint Clement Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Base Line Feed Store (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eastpointe.
 
Categories. Education
 
National Register of Historic Places Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 3, 2018
3. National Register of Historic Places Plaque
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 147 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 4, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement