Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarksville in Montgomery County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Town of Cumberland

 
 
Town of Cumberland Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2015
1. Town of Cumberland Marker
Inscription. The Town of Cumberland (1810-1843) was sited at the, confluence of the Cumberland and Red Rivers as a projected river port for farming communities north of the Red River. It began as a keelboat landing slightly up the Red River to serve the original 640 acre grant dating from the 1780s. Despite the establishment of warehouses and a sawmill, the town never fully developed as planned. The landing, however, was a valuable location for loading flatboats and later, steamboats. By the 1840s, the area was called Red River Landing.

A major road ran up the hill and between what is now Fort Defiance and Trice's Landing. Another road paralleled the Red River to a ford, and later, a bridge connecting to Clarksville. By the early 1840s, the towns of Meachamsville and New Providence developed along these routes and their connecting roads at the top of New Providence Hill. The area was a flourishing commercial center prior to the Civil War.

Photo captions:
A Keelboats, designed to travel upstream, measured about 60 feet long by 8 feet wide. Although equipped with a sail, they often had to be rowed, poled or hand winched upstream. Travel from New Orleans to Clarksville by keelboat took three to four months.

B Flatboats, designed to travel downstream, measured about 50 feet long and 12
Marker is part of the Fort Defiance Pedestrian Trail. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, August 31, 2015
2. Marker is part of the Fort Defiance Pedestrian Trail.
feet wide. They were navigated by a huge stern oar and three outer steering oars. After reaching their destination, flatboats were usually dismantled and sold as scrap lumber.

Far right:Receipt dated October 12, 1859 from New Fireproof Tobacco Warehouse at Red River Landing assures shipment of 250 barrels of flour to New Orleans aboard the steamboat Ella at the cost of sixty cents per barrel.

 
Erected 2008 by the City of Clarksville.
 
Location. 36° 32.403′ N, 87° 22.351′ W. Marker is in Clarksville, Tennessee, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Duncan Street 0.2 miles south of Walker Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 Duncan Street, Clarksville TN 37042, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tobacco Trade and the Rivers (within shouting distance of this marker); Freedmen's Camp and the USCT (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Life as a Garrisoned Union Soldier (about 400 feet away); Bringing the War to Clarksville (about 500 feet away); Building Fort Sevier (Defiance) (about 500 feet away); Forts Versus Ironclads (about 600 feet away); Fort Defiance Interpretive Center (about 600 feet away); Fort Defiance (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarksville.
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 4, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 133 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 4, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings along the trail. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.