Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Abingdon in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of “Old Baltimore”

 
 
Site of “Old Baltimore” Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, June 21, 2007
1. Site of “Old Baltimore” Marker
Inscription. The first County Seat of Baltimore County, 1659 to 1700, was located on Bush River. In 1683 it was made a Port of Entry by the Maryland Assembly.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust & Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Location. 39° 26.988′ N, 76° 16.737′ W. Marker is near Abingdon, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is on Pulaski Highway (U.S. 40) one mile south of Abingdon Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abingdon MD 21009, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Captain John Smith (here, next to this marker); Old Post Road: Cokesbury College (approx. 0.8 miles away); Gov. William Paca (approx. 0.9 miles away); Harford Town, or Bush (approx. 1.6 miles away); “The Bush Declaration” (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abingdon.
 
Regarding Site of “Old Baltimore”. The town of Old Baltimore was on the opposite bank of the Bush River in what is now the U.S. Armys Aberdeen Proving Ground.
 
Also see . . .  Harford County History. (Submitted on June 22, 2007.)
Bush River image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, June 21, 2007
2. Bush River

 
Categories. Colonial EraLandmarksSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,485 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement