Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Superior in Mineral County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
 

Superior School

 
 
Superior School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 9, 2018
1. Superior School Marker
Inscription. Travelers along the Mullan Road and prosectors lured by the 1869 discovery of gold on Cedar Creek opened the way for settlement of this area. After the placer gold played out and other mining camps became ghost towns, the town of Superior continued to grow. In 1891 the community organized a school district and elementary classes were held in a small log cabin. By 1892, there were ninety school-age children in the vicinity. Into the 1900s, several rural schools accommodated local children but none offered a high school curriculum. Older students had to leave home to advance beyond the primary grades. Mineral County was organized in 1914 and a year later bonds for the construction of a high school passed. A secondary curriculum was offered for the first time that fall with classes held in the Methodist Church basement; students from all over the county attended. The new high school, constructed by local builder Charles Augustine at a cost of $10,000, was dedicated on January 28, 1916. Additions in 1925 and 1947 eased overcrowding and the school remained in use until June 1995. It is today one of Montana's few examples of Colonial Revival style school architecture. Along with the Mineral County courthouse, this impressive landmark with its three-stage bell tower, flanking dormers and strict classical symmetry has alway drawn visitors to
Superior School and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, May 9, 2018
2. Superior School and Marker
the center of town. Despite its closure, the Superior School maintains a strong visual presence at the heart of the community where, for eighty years, it served the county and its children.
 
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Montana National Register Historical Markers marker series.
 
Location. 47° 11.695′ N, 114° 53.431′ W. Marker is in Superior, Montana, in Mineral County. Marker is at the intersection of River Ranch Road and 2nd Avenue East, on the right when traveling north on River Ranch Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 River Street, Superior MT 59872, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gideon Bibles (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Earth's Blood Flows Past You (approx. 9.4 miles away); Native People Sustained Through Many Millennia (approx. 9.4 miles away); Phantom Formation Is Rock Solid In Corridor (approx. 9.4 miles away); A Wonderful Piece of Engineering: The Big Side Cut (approx. 10.1 miles away); Coursing Through Miles Of Montana (approx. 11.2 miles away); Searching For Fur And A Finer Life (approx. 11.2 miles away); Wildlife Thrive In Corridor Year Round (approx. 11.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Superior.
 
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 6, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement