Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
óPolk's Corps ó
Hindman's Division -- Polk's Corps.
Brig. Gen. Patton Anderson.
Sept. 20, 1863, 11:30 A.M..
7th Mississippi – Col. W. H. Bishop.
9th Mississippi – Maj. T.H. Lynam.
10th Mississippi – Lieut. Col. James Barr.
41st Mississippi – Col. W.F. Tucker.
44th Mississippi – Col. J.H. Sharp.
9th Mississippi Battalion Sharpshooters – Maj.W.C. Richards.
Garrity's (Alabama) Battery – Capt. James Garrity. .
This brigade was the reserve of its division. Deaís brigade being on the right and Manigaultís brigade on the left of the front line. Upon nearing the widow Glennís the left of the Manigaultís brigade was forced back and Andersonís took its place on the front line. Driving and pursuing Sheridanís division to the crest west of the Crawfish Springs road. The brigade was then withdrawn, moved to the right, and sent to the assistance of Gen. B. R. Johnson it Snodgrass Hill.
Erected 1890 by War Department. (Marker Number MT-1124.)
Location. 34° 54.57′ N, 85° 15.68′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker is Touch for map. This marker is located in the national park that preserves the site of the Chickamauga Battlefield, north of the Glenn Field, set back in the trees on the west side of LaFayette Road. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sirwell's Brigade. (within shouting distance of this marker); Carlin's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. Daniel H. Gilmer (within shouting distance of this marker); Manigault's Brigade (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 65th Ohio Infantry Regiment (about 700 feet away); 78th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment (approx. 0.2 miles away); 21st Illinois Infantry (approx. 0.2 miles away); 38th Illinois Infantry (approx. ľ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
Also see . . .
1. Death Knell of the Confederacy. Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park. (Submitted on September 7, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. Cast Iron Tablets and Bronze Plaques. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on September 7, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
3. Battle of Chickamauga. Overview of the battle provided by the American Battlefield Trust. (Submitted on September 7, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.