Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rio Grande in Gallia County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

University of Rio Grande

Founders: Nehemiah and Permelia Atwood

 
 
University of Rio Grande Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 31, 2018
1. University of Rio Grande Marker
Inscription. This historic marker is on the western boundary of the original 10 acre Rio Grande, College Campus, founded and endowed by Nehemiah and Permelia Atwood. The campus was located on the southeast corner of the Atwood Farm. Construction of Atwood Hall and the Boarding Hall began in 1875. The College was organized on November 1, 1875, dedicated on August 29, 1876, and opened for classes on September 13, 1876. Rio Grande College was incorporated as a non-profit educational institution by the State of Ohio on May 30, 1883.
 
Erected 1989 by The Ohio Historical Society, Gallia County Historical Society, O.O. McIntyre Park District and the University of Rio Grande Board of Trustees. (Marker Number 6-27.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 38° 52.903′ N, 82° 22.812′ W. Marker is in Rio Grande, Ohio, in Gallia County. Marker is on West College Street (Ohio Route 325) south of North Collge Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. It is at the northwest corner of the Berry Fine And Performing Arts Center, facing W College St. Marker is at or near this postal address: 416 W College St, Rio Grande OH 45674, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
University of Rio Grande Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 31, 2018
2. University of Rio Grande Marker
In the distance is the abstract sculpture “Folded Circle/Ring” by Fletcher Benton made from CorTen steel.
At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert L. “Bob” Evans (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Homestead (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Village of Adamsville (approx. 0.9 miles away); New Hope Baptist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Bidwell (approx. 5 miles away); Morgan's Raid (approx. 6.9 miles away); The Lambert Land Settlement (approx. 7.2 miles away); Ewington Academy (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rio Grande.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia Entry. “By 1915, Rio Grande’s major focus had shifted to teacher training, which continued as a virtually singular interest for nearly 60 years. The affiliation with the Baptists formally ended in the early 1950s. During the same time period, the farm adjacent to the campus which was owned by the college (students worked there to produce dairy products), was sold to provide much-needed operating funds for the institution. A young businessman, Bob Evans, was the buyer. The University Of Rio Grande's alma mater, ‘Sock It To Me, Baby,’ was written by Eustace St. James, a 1920 graduate and replaced a former alma mater written by Franz Josef Sucher.” (Submitted on September 8, 2018.) 
 
Categories. Education
 
Alumni Memorial Bell Tower at Rio Grande University image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 31, 2018
3. Alumni Memorial Bell Tower at Rio Grande University
“Music washes away the everyday dust of the soul.”
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 8, 2018, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement