Near Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
37th Indiana Infantry
—Negley's Division —
3rd Brig. Sirwell
2nd Div. Negley 14th Corps Thomas
Thirty-seventh Regiment Infantry
Colonel W.D. Ward, Commanding,
Third Brigade (Sirwell),
Second Division (Negley),
Fourteenth Corps (Thomas).
On the morning of September 19 this Regiment with its brigade occupied a position on the right of the Army below Crawfish Springs near Chickamauga Creek. At 2 P.M. the regiment with the brigade was ordered to the center where the brigade became engaged near dark, at this position. The Regiment threw up breastworks and held this position until 1030 the next morning.
Sunday, September 20, the regiment was moved to the left. About noon it took position near the Snodgrass house, from which point it was almost immediately ordered by General Negley towards Rossville where it bivouacked.
Erected 1897 by State of Indiana. (Marker Number MT-802.)
Location. 34° 54.855′ N, 85° 15.775′ W. Marker is near Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker can be reached from LaFayette Road 0.2 miles south of Brotherton Road, on Touch for map. This marker is located in the Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park. This marker is on the west side of LaFayette Road along a hiking path that connects LaFayette Road and Glenn-Kelly Road. The path crosses LaFayette Road between the Glenn Field and the Brotherton Field. The path branches several times, this marker is along a path (take a right when the trail splits) north of the main path. This monument can also be reached from the Brotherton Field from the gate in the split Rail fence. Marker is in this post office area: Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stanley's Brigade. (within shouting distance of this marker); 35th Illinois Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Negley's Division, Thomas' Corps. (within shouting distance of this marker); Davis' Division, McCook's Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); 18th Indiana Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named 18th Indiana Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); 92nd Illinois Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); E. King's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker.
This monument was fabricated by Seearch and Hayes in 1897. The Smithsonian Institution art catalog describes the monument as “A flared commemorative marker with a relief scene of a uniformed Civil War soldier holding his rifle, with trees in the left background. The soldier stands aimed to the right, holding the rifle with both hands at waist level. The marker has a pyramidal cap with acorns on each corner, and a circular State of Indiana seal on the front. The marker has a short base.” The dimension of the monument are 8' x 7' x 11' high and is made of limestone.
Also see . . . Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park. National Park Service (Submitted on September 12, 2018.)
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 10, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.