Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
"Capt. Pratt and his two clerks [and others] Ö have moved their office quarters to the new and handsome building situated where the old chapel stood,” read the 20 November 1891 issue of the Indian Helper, a Carlisle Indian Industrial School newsletter. Boys from the school helped build that facility, the present Quarters 3. Superintendent Richard Henry Pratt and his successors used it as an administration building until the school closed in 1918 to make way for General Hospital No. 31. The hospital used the structure as post headquarters
From 1920 to 1951, the building served as headquarters for the various military schools that came and left Carlisle Barracks – the Medical Field Service School, the Armed Forces Informational School, the School for Government of Occupied Areas, the Adjutant Generalís School, the Chaplain School, the Military Police School, and the Army Security Agency School.
When the Army War College moved to Carlisle Barracks in 1951, headquarters relocated. Shortly after, the building was renovated and became Quarters 2, residence of the Deputy Commander. In the early 1990ís, it became Quarters 3, home of the Deputy Commandant for International Affairs.
Donated by LTC Pam McGaha, PAARNG, AWC Class of 2011
In Honor of PFC Doyle L. McGaha Sr., WWII Veteran, 81st
Eagle Scout Project by Timothy Loney, Troop 173
Research assistance from Jessica Sheets and the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center
Images from USAMHI, Personality Collection and Carlisle Barracks Collection
Erected by Donated by LTC Pam McGaha, PAARNG, AWC Class of 2011.
Location. 40° 12.465′ N, 77° 10.662′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker can be reached from Guardhouse Lane. Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of Carlisle Barracks. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quarters 2 (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederick the Great (within shouting distance of this marker); Wheelock Bandstand (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hessian Powder Magazine (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Coren Apartments (about 400 feet away); Army Medical Department Memorial (about 400 feet away); Schools housed at Carlisle Barracks during the period 1776-1976 (about 400 feet away); Pratt Hall (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 17 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 13, 2018, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.