Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Portsmouth in Hampshire County, England, United Kingdom
 

HM Gunwharf, Portsmouth

 
 
HM Gunwharf, Portsmouth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, July 31, 2018
1. HM Gunwharf, Portsmouth Marker
Inscription. Click to hear the inscription.  
HM Gunwharf, Portsmouth
The Gunwharf was built in 1662 to enable ships’ guns, tested by the Army’s Board of Ordnance, to be fitted into the warships built within Portsmouth’s Royal Dockyard. The site was in continuous military service for over 300 years. Most recently serving as a base for the Army’s ships and boats, until it was handed to the Royal Navy in 1998 for them to add to their HMS Vernon site for disposal in 1998.

The RLC is Grateful to the Support Given by
Gunwharf Quays Management Limited
In This Project

( left side plaque )
HM Gunwharf, Portsmouth
By 1988, the civilian fleet, personnel and the boats, were taken over by commercial civilian operators and the reduction of force levels reduced the requirement for military manned ships. The last military unit, 20 Maritime Regiment RCT, moved out of HM Gunwharf on 30 september 1988. The Army’s maritime expertise is now to be found in the successors to the RCT - The Royal Logistic Corps, specifically 17 Port and Maritime Regiment RLC at the Sea Mount Centre, Marchwood

( right side plaque )
HM
HM Gunwharf, Portsmouth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, July 31, 2018
2. HM Gunwharf, Portsmouth Marker
( left side plaque )
Gunwharf, Portsmouth
Civilians manned the early boats owned by the Board of Ordnance and were used to carry government, naval and military supplies and stores, including ammunition and guns. Increasing workload saw this board’s fleet increase to include coastal shipping and in 1854 for the Crimean War, the Army’s Navy was named the War Department Fleet, the following 100 years saw greater military involvement by the Army’s fleet culminating in substantial support for the D-Day landings, command and control craft and DUKWs heavily committed to the logistic ship-to-shore re-supply of the Allied Forces.
 
Location. 50° 47.726′ N, 1° 6.492′ W. Marker is in Portsmouth, England, in Hampshire County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of England Route B2154 and Park Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in the Gunwharf Quays mall. Marker is in this post office area: Portsmouth, England PO1 3TR, United Kingdom.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 12 Inch Shell (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Noon Day Gun (about 90 meters away); The Old Customs House (about 120 meters away); HMS Vernon Figurehead (about 120 meters away); HMS Sirius
HM Gunwharf, Portsmouth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, July 31, 2018
3. HM Gunwharf, Portsmouth Marker
( right side plaque )
(about 150 meters away); GPO K6 Telephone Box (about 150 meters away); Mark VIII Torpedo (about 150 meters away); British MMK1 Mine (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Portsmouth.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Gunwharf Keys. (Submitted on September 15, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
2. Gunwharf Quays on Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 15, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
HM Gunwharf, Portsmouth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, July 31, 2018
4. HM Gunwharf, Portsmouth Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 15, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement