Near Romeo in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Simpson Park Campground
In the early nineteenth century Methodists began holding camp meetings, an outgrowth of their early revivals. Revival services were held during the winter months, and late summer was generally reserved for the district camp meeting. Simpson Park Campground was begun as the Romeo District Summer Camp for the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1865. It is one of the oldest camp meetings in continuous service in Michigan. The Reverend John Russell, district presiding elder, was its founder. (In 1869 he also helped found the Prohibition party.) During the late 1860s families came from over fifty miles away to gather under the foliage for three weeks of almost uninterrupted religious exercises.
Since the late 1890s Simpson Park Campground has been operated by a private association made up predominantly of United Methodists. In 1907, it was reorganized and the Reverend William G. Nixon was elected its first president. A tabernacle was built and named in his honor in 1910. Many of the children and young people who have attended camp meetings have become preachers and missionaries, as well as camp leaders. Today only ten-day camps are held. The meetings are less rigid than in the 1860s, and social and recreational activities are included. The annual Simpson Park Camp Meeting is held during the
Erected 1981 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L927.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 48.617′ N, 83° 2.374′ W. Marker is near Romeo, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker is on Campground Road north of West Gates Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 70199 Campground Road, Romeo MI 48065, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Electric Streetcars (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Village Park (approx. 1.4 miles away); Wooden Wheels (approx. 1.4 miles away); Many Tools and Many Tasks (approx. 1.4 miles away); Village of Romeo (approx. 1.4 miles away); From the Foundry Fires (approx. 1.4 miles away); Helen Starkweather (approx. 1.4 miles away); Lakeville Auxiliary Hall (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Romeo.
Also see . . . About Simpson Park Camp Meeting Grounds. Includes a history of the the campground. (Submitted on September 15, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 15, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.