Oakland in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Hendrik Van Allen House
key military highway for troops
and supply units
during the Revolutionary War
this building served as
General George Washington’s
headquarters on July 14, 1777
as the Bergen County Court House
1778 – 1779
The Woman’s Club of Oakland
Erected 1961 by The Woman’s Club of Oakland.
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
Location. 41° 1.769′ N, 74° 14.196′ W. Marker is in Oakland, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Franklin Avenue and Ramapo Valley Road (U.S. 202), on the right when traveling west on Franklin Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland NJ 07436, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hendrick Van Allen House (here, next to this marker); Dahlgren Gun (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oakland (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jacobus S. Demarest House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Franklin Avenue Franklin Lakes United Methodist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Dellbrook Estate, Baldwin Residence (approx. 2 miles away); Ackerman-Boyd House (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
Also see . . . Oakland Historical Society. (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Revolutionary • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,734 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.