Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Romeo in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Village of Romeo

 
 
Village of Romeo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 15, 2018
1. Village of Romeo Marker
Inscription. Originally known as Indian Village, Romeo was platted in 1830 on the former winter campgrounds of a band of Chippewa Indians. Nathaniel Taylor, Ashael Bailey and a Major Larned laid out the village, which was incorporated in 1838. Named Romeo by Taylor's wife, Laura, the village became an agricultural and mercantile center. Many of its early settlers were from New England and upstate New York. In 1835 the Romeo Academy was established, and in the 1840s the Romeo Branch of The University of Michigan opened in the village. The many examples of nineteenth-century architecture that remain in the village led Michigan and the federal government to list Romeo as a historic district in 1970.
 
Erected 1988 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1424.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 42° 48.235′ N, 83° 0.811′ W. Marker is in Romeo, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Church Street, on the left when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 Church Street, Romeo MI 48065, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Village of Romeo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, September 15, 2018
2. Village of Romeo Marker
are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Helen Starkweather (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Village Park (about 300 feet away); Electric Streetcars (about 400 feet away); Many Tools and Many Tasks (about 500 feet away); Wooden Wheels (about 600 feet away); From the Foundry Fires (approx. 0.2 miles away); Simpson Park Campground (approx. 1.4 miles away); Religious Society Church (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Romeo.
 
Also see . . .  History. Romeo Historical Society website (Submitted on September 16, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Categories. EducationIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 16, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 16, 2018, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Paid Advertisement