Brandenburg in Meade County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Early Meade County Leader / Meade County Courthouse
Early Meade County Leader
Most of the original plot of this town owned by Solomon Brandenburg, an early settler who served in War of 1812. He built the Old Walnut Log Tavern, a double log house which served as courthouse, hotel, schoolhouse and home. Among the earliest steamboats built were three at his landing and ferry. A leading promoter, he helped town become a major river port. Over.
Meade County Courthouse
When Brandenburg became county seat in 1825, the Old Walnut Log Tavern was used as a courthouse. Among visitors to the tavern were James Wilkinson, Aaron Burr and John James Audubon. The brick courthouse built on this site, 1872-73, was destroyed by tornado on April 3, 1974. A new courthouse was built on Fairway Drive and dedicated on April 3, 1976. Over.
Erected 1979 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1652.)
Location. 38° 0.261′ N, 86° 10.148′ W. Marker is in Brandenburg, Kentucky, in Meade County. Marker is on Main Street north of Water Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 Main St, Brandenburg KY 40108, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At Meade County Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Morgan ~~ On To Ohio (within shouting distance of this marker); Flint for the Hunt (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Underground Railroad Statue (about 700 feet away); A Rest at Otter Creek (approx. 0.2 miles away); Capture of the Alice Dean (approx. 0.2 miles away); Big Joe Logsdon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morgan's Headquarters (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brandenburg.
Categories. • Disasters • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 17, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.