Booker T. Washington School/Booker T. Washington High
The two-story main building at Booker T. Washington School, built in 1916, stood here until 1975. At first an elementary school with grades 1-10, it became Booker T. Washington High School with grades 9-10 in 1918, added grade 11 in 1924, and added grade 12 in 1947. Columbia’s only black high school from 1917 to 1948 and for many years the largest black high school in the state, it closed in 1974.
BOOKER T. WASHINGTON HIGH (Reverse)
Booker T. Washington High, one of the first black high schools accredited by the S.C. Dept. of Education, was also one of the most significant institutions in Columbia’s black community for more than fifty years. Notable principals included C.A. Johnson, 1916-1931; J. Andrew Simmons, 1932-1945; and Harry B. Rutherford, 1950-1965. The University of S.C. bought the property in 1974 and demolished the main building in 1975.
Erected 2009 by Historic Columbia Foundation, the City of Columbia, and SC Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 40-164.)
Location. 33° 59.586′ N, 81° 1.533′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Wheat Street east of Sumter Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Booker T. Washington High School (within shouting distance of this marker); Gladden Home Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blossom Street (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Parade Ground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mexican Border and World War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Beth Shalom Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); "Commissioners' Oak" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rutledge College (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . . History of Booker T. Washington High School and Its Foundation. (Submitted on October 11, 2018.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2018. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.