Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Beth Shalom Synagogue

 
 
Beth Shalom Synagogue Marker image. Click for full size.
1. Beth Shalom Synagogue Marker
Inscription. In 1905 disagreements over religious practices divided members of Columbia’s Tree of Life Synagogue. Jews embracing Orthodoxy formed a new synagogue, which they named Beth Shalom (House of Peace). Meetings were held in a private home on the corner of Park and Lady Sts. until a sanctuary was completed in 1907. Destroyed by fire in 1915, it was rebuilt eight months later. Growth of the congregation led to a new temple in 1928. Designed by noted Columbia firm Lafaye & Lafaye and built by M.B. Kahn, a member of the congregation, the new House of Peace was dedicated Sept. 8, 1935. In 1955, its members shifted from Orthodoxy to embrace the Conservative movement. For more than three decades the Marion St. landmark met the spiritual, cultural, and social needs of its members. In 1973 the congregation built a new synagogue on Trenholm Rd. in Forest Acres.
 
Erected 2016 by Historic Columbia, Columbia Jewish Heritage Initiative, and Jewish Historical Society of SC. (Marker Number 40-193.)
 
Location. 34° 0.546′ N, 81° 1.994′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is at the intersection of Marion Street and Blanding Street on Marion Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1719 Marion Street, Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
House of Peace Synagogue, 1972 image. Click for full size.
Russell Maxey Collection, Richland County Library
2. House of Peace Synagogue, 1972
The congregation, now called by its Hebrew name Beth Shalom, used this building until 1973.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Blanding House (within shouting distance of this marker); DeBruhl-Marshall House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ladson Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Church of the Good Shepard (about 700 feet away); Bethel A.M.E. Church (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Blanding Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mann-Simons Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Laurel Street (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2018. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 5, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the other side of the marker; photo of the marker within its surroundings • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement