Near Cuero in De Witt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Friar-Cardwell Stage Stand
In 1849 Friar sold the building to Crockett Cardwell (1812-91), who continued to operate it as a stage stand, store, post office, and community meeting place. The county's first Masonic lodge, Cameron Lodge No. 76, A. F. & A. M., was organized in an upstairs room in Nov. 1850 and met there until Jan. 1853. When the Gulf, Western Texas, and Pacific Railroad located the town of Cuero four miles south of the Cardwell stand in 1873, the post office was moved to that site. As the town along the railroad grew, other activities at the old stage stand ended. It was torn down in 1916.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical
Location. 29° 7.877′ N, 97° 16.558′ W. Marker is near Cuero, Texas, in De Witt County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 183 and Lakeside Drive, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 183. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cuero TX 77954, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Chisholm Trail (here, next to this marker); Leonard Roy Harmon (approx. 3.1 miles away); Clinton (approx. 5.9 miles away); Dr. William Watt White (approx. 6.1 miles away); Hopkinsville Community (approx. 7.4 miles away); Concrete College (1865 - 1881) (approx. 7½ miles away); Stagecoach Inn (approx. 11.2 miles away); Cuero I Archeological District (approx. 11.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 24, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.